Data Type Questions

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:34 PM

What is the Amazon S3 Datatype supposed to do? Currently my installation only shows a empty input field. I need to know what goes in this field; or am reporting that, if it is supposed to do more (content picker etc) it is not working properly.

I am running umbraco v 4.5.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3858.40498) on a integrated IIS7 server

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM
Hi Stephen,

The Amazon S3 DataType allows you to connect to your S3 account and displays all of your files allowing you to select one for that page.

A scrollable section with all your documents should appear under the text box, but I've just test it myself again and it seems your right in that it doesn't return nothing except a "Malformed Request" error.

I will look into this issue try to get a patch sorted ASAP.

Kind Regards

Tom

Sent: 12 August 2010 23:34
To: letstalk@tom-maton.co.uk
Subject: Data Type Questions [amazonS3Umbraco:223422]

What is the Amazon S3 Datatype supposed to do? Currently my installation only shows a empty input field. I need to know what goes in this field; or am reporting that, if it is supposed to do more (content picker etc) it is not working properly.

I am running umbraco v 4.5.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3858.40498) on a integrated IIS7 server

Sep 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM
Edited Sep 22, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Hi Tom,

I have installed your module (AmazonS3_1.1.zip) on umbraco v4.5.2 and I can successfully create buckets, upload files and use the S3 data type to select files I would like to use.   Do you have any plans on integrating the S3 upload functionality into the "Media Picker".  It would be nice to have the same UI, and be able to create a media item and select the Media Type from the pulldown that would perform the S3 functionality.  It would be limited to one bucket but I think that is fine for most organizations.

Thanks for your contributions, it is great to have the S3 option! -Nate

Coordinator
Sep 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Hi Nate,

The following plans are.

1. Add into the media picker so can be reused through out the site and build a tree navigation of all the buckets with their docs listed underneath.

2. Increase the upload from 1mb to 2gb (S3 limit)

3. UI improvements

If you have any other suggestions then please let me know and I'll consider integrating them into the package.

Thanks

Tom

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM
Edited Sep 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Hi Tom,

That sounds great.  Is the upload size limitation (1mb) due http max request length? 

One feature that I would like and would probably be popular is Amazon CloudFront integration.  It could be implemented several ways, here are a couple of ways:

1. pick from CloudFront urls and then set the CloudFront URL as the property value.

2. pick a S3 item and then set the CloudFront URL as the property value. 

Thanks again!-Nate